The Master's Program in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology provides a solid background in materials chemistry, solid state physics, an introduction to biotechnology as well as new methodologies and approaches to cancer diagnosis and targeted therapies. The program is materials-oriented with emphasis in materials chemistry, microelectronics, photonics, and their biomedical and energy applications. It offers a broad range of fundamental courses, e.g., fundamentals of nanoscience and nanotechnology, quantum mechanics and solid state physics in addition to bionanotechnology in cancer therapy as related to disease diagnosis and formulation of drugs and their delivery.
The program will introduce the students to cutting-edge research in Nanoscience & Nanotechnology and adequately trains them in the latest research methods and techniques. The program is materials-oriented with emphasis on materials chemistry, micro-electronics, photonics, and their biomedical and energy applications with knowledge of basic principles of nanotechnology with special focus on cancer nanodiagnositics and nanotherapy.
The graduate program in Nanotechnology is a joint multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary program between the colleges of Science and General Studies, Engineering and Medicine, as well as KFSHRC and KACST. The program is open to students both male and female, Saudi and non-Saudi, with undergraduate degrees in physical and/or life sciences, pharmacy, medicine and engineering.
The program is composed of three thesis option tracks:
- Cancer Nanoscience (NEW)
- Nanomaterials for Energy and Environmental Applications
- Nanomedicine and Nanodiagnostics.
The Cancer Nanoscience track will prepare graduates for diverse careers ranging from basic cancer research to biotech companies moving cutting-edge nanotechnology into the cancer clinic. Students will learn the advanced concepts and new methodologies that guide cancer diagnosis and personalized targeted therapies with special focus on cancer bioinformatics, nanodiagnositics and nanotherapeutics. The student-centered training program provides opportunities to conduct interdisciplinary research under the guidance of world-class faculty at Alfaisal University, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center and KACST.
Nanomaterials for Energy & Environmental Applications
Graduates will be prepared to advance of the applications of nanoscience and nanotechnology in eco-friendly processes and techniques for energy and environment sustainability. Various aspects of both the synthesis and applications of nanoparticles for energy and environmental applications will be offered. This includes solutions to major problems such as in renewable energy and greenhouse gas conversion by providing the science and expertise that can advance energy technology development without destroying the environment.
Nanomedicine & Nanodiagnostics
The Nanomedicine and Nanodiagnostics track will prepare graduates to be at the interface of physical, chemical, biological, and medical science. Recent advances have made it possible to analyze biological systems at cellular and subcellular levels, offering numerous promising approaches to improve medical diagnosis and therapy. It is expected that nanomedicine will have a great impact especially on drug delivery and imaging. The development of targeted, highly specific nanoparticles is of pivotal importance. The results of these advances will offer personalized diagnostic tools and treatments.
To be the leading interdisciplinary graduate program in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology in the region and beyond, known for its world-class education cutting edge research with the aim of contributing to a knowledge-based economy
The program aspires to:
- Provide a world-class education in nanoscience and to prepare graduates to become leaders in developing a knowledge-based economy and health care system.
- Introduce cutting-edge research in nanoscience that will train graduates on the latest methods and techniques.
- Enable graduates to seek careers in R&D, academia and the industrial sectors.
- Train and encourage graduates to produce IP (Intellectual Property) by patenting their research findings and transforming them into spin-off companies.
- Establish partnerships with other colleges at Alfaisal University as well as at research institutions like KFSHRC, KACST and KAUST.
Graduates from this program will have opportunities for employment in various fields including:
- Electronics/semiconductor industry
- Materials science including textiles, polymers, and packaging
- Auto and aerospace industries
- Medical fields and pharmaceuticals
- Environmental monitoring, control, and remediation
- Food science
- Forensic science
- Research and development
- Energy production and storage